Over the years I had a number of occasions where I had to discern what God was leading (or asking) me to do. Here are a few ways to best understand what God’s will may be in your situation …
- What does God’s word say about my situation? If God’s word is clear about a situation or decision, do what it says. If not, read on.
- Have you faced a similar situation before? If so what did God reveal to you at that time? (Hint: If you made a mistake don’t repeat it!)
- If the decision is difficult, seek godly counsel … Proverbs 11:14.
- Make the decision a matter of quiet and earnest prayer … James 1:5.
- Don’t ignore the common sense that God has given you.
- Take your time. Do not make hasty and impatient decisions.
- Anticipate that the passage of time will either open or close a door of opportunity.