30 For two whole years Paul stayed there in his own rented house and welcomed all who came to see him. 31 He proclaimed the kingdom of God and taught about the Lord Jesus Christ—with all boldness and without hindrance! – Acts 28:30-31
How could Luke say that Paul taught about Jesus with all boldness and without hindrance? I can understand describing Paul as bold – that’s obvious. But how can he say he did so without hindrance?
He’s under house arrest. He’s not free to travel. In fact, it sounds like he’s in … quarantine!
I can think of a few small things that could have hindered Paul and early church.
Luke is not unaware of the challenges, so what does he mean by this?
For one thing, Paul used his time under house arrest wisely. Could you imagine if Paul had Netflix in prison? He might have got hooked on Parks and Recreation and we’d never have four books of the New Testament: Ephesians, Colossians, Philippians, and Philemon.
We wouldn’t have great verses like these …
- We are saved by grace through faith
- I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.
- And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy.
- I always thank my God as I remember you in my prayers, because I hear about your love for all his holy people and your faith in the Lord Jesus.
Here’s the key: what we perceive as hindrances may be actually be opportunities for God to work in new ways.
How might God be using this season to birth something new in you?
Experience and Background
- 25+ years of senior leadership experience
- masters in management and leadership
- presenter at the WFX National Conference
- former president, Church Planters of the Rockies
- helped start 2 for-profit tech companies
To get a better feel for my style and personality, you can watch past sermons on our YouTube channel.
Need an engaging speaker for your event or conference? At the moment, I am available on a limited basis to speak for seminars, workshops, or worship services. Click here to learn more.
I’ve written a few books that might help! You’ll find books on preaching, leadership, Ephesians, as well as my first novel. Follow this link to learn more.